Surrey, KT15 3NB
VLA deals with a range of diseases in farmed terrestrial animal diseases requiring licensed disease containment animal facilities. Diseases licensed include TSEs, TB, Brucella, Blue Tongue Virus, Classical Swine Fever, influenzas and Newcastle disease.
Access contact person
Dr. Hugh Simmons. Head of Animal Services Unit
Number of participants accepted:
To be agreed with the hosting facility.
Number of access to provide: 4
Conditions of participant involvement
After the end of each project the candidate will:
- Submit a short report
- Fill a questionnaire available on-line at: http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/capacities/questionnaire_en.html
- The participant is entitled to publish the results of its work at the infrastructure in the open literature.All publications resulting from the project should acknowledge this EC-support by mentioning : “The research leading to these results has received funding from the European Community‘s Seventh Framework Programme (FP7/2007-2013) under grant agreement n° 228394”
- Proprietary research (research where results are not generally available to the public or only made available under confidentiality arrangements) cannot be supported.
- Travel and subsistence expenses linked to the access will be reimbursed upon approval of the report. Reimbursements will be done according to administrative rules of each hosting organisation.
- For more information about transnational access conditions, see the ANNEX III to the Grant Agreement - Infrastructures
The facilities are heavily utilised therefore a degree of flexibility to fit experiments into schedule is essential.
Infrastructure ethical rules
All animal work has to be covered by a project licence issued under the U.K. 1986 Animal (Scientific Procedures) Act which is subject to ethical review. A licence will have to be applied for the work involved in the access, this could have a lead in time of 3 to 4 months and will be written by VLA staff inconjunction with the party requiring access.
VLA Website : http://www.defra.gov.uk/vla/reports/rep_papers.htm
- Infrastructure website: www.defra.gov.uk/vla